Anna Tremblay is one of Curator's interns for summer 2015. To learn more about Curator's internship program, click here.
My days as an intern are quickly coming to a close and I can confidently say that I learned something new each day at Curator. Not only did I learn things that I can add to my PR skill set, but also to my life skill set.
I have decided to share some of the greatest lessons I have learned with those who have yet to work with this talented group of people.
So without further ado, here are some of the things I have learned from the Curators this summer:
- Time management is key.
- Proofread, then proofread again .
- Hard work pays off.
- An interesting pitch is a good pitch.
- Make people care about the client— this may often require thinking outside of the box.
- Social media is one of your greatest tools in PR.
- There are an infinite number of websites and apps to help you effectively use social media channels—find them and use them often.
- Getting to know your co-workers is not only fun but also important—happy hour is a great way to do so.
- Celebrate your wins, no matter how big or small.
- Celebrate your co-workers wins. Everyone deserves a pat on the back sometimes.
- Get an outside opinion. Sometime the best thing to do is get a fresh perspective.
- There is a huge difference between an amazing social media presence and a just-OK social media presence.
- Identifying influencers is glorified social media stalking (I always knew those skills would come in handy one day).
- Your media list can be your Achilles heel; to avoid this, make sure it is always current, full of awesome contacts and even better notes.
- There is nothing wrong with asking for help or asking questions.
- Taking time to meet face to face will always be more productive than email.
And last, but definitely not least:
17. Nothing is as dangerous in communications as assuming your own message.
The Curators are an eclectic team of individuals who each bring their own niche skill set to create the best possible outcome for their clients. I feel so lucky to have been able to be a part of this team for the summer. The amounts of things I have learned far outnumber those listed above, and some I will never be able to put into words.
I want to end this by thanking Anna, Paul, Jennifer, Brooke, Noelle, Kate, Chelsey, Ann Marie and Scott. Each of you contributed in giving me a better experience than I could have ever asked for. You are all awesome.